UBC Day 3, 20171003 | Surrender

OK. Here’s the truth: I’ve been staring at this blank screen for a couple of hours, now.

“You’re a writer,” self says sternly to self. “Write.

Oh, yeah. You’ve never heard that oft-quoted (and widely attributed) old saw,

“Writing is easy. You just open a vein and bleed” ?

Well, here I am, sharpened pencil poised over my wrist, and despite the imminent threat to my veins, the words just aren’t coming.

I can feel them sneaking around the nooks and crannies of my brain, teasing me, taunting me, but will they step out of the shadows of my psyche? Hell, no.

I fling my pencil away in disgust and resignation. And just like that, inspiration!

OK, inspiration, and a bit of a cop-out. But I am a writer … and a poet! My salvation? HAIKU!

Writer’s block haunts me

Words, ideas will not come

Off to bed I go

About Billie Noakes

The writer you want for crisp, clean copy.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to UBC Day 3, 20171003 | Surrender

1. You sound so much like me. Except sometimes it’s when I need to get off to bed that ideas flood my mind and taunt me or make me stay up later than I should. I’m having trouble finding a way to follow your blog. Where did you hide the sign-up? I’d like to keep up with you.

2. Barbara, I don’t think I included a sign-up when I built the site. It never occured to me someone would want to follow it. Thank you for the compliment! I’ll see what I can do. Tonight, my dashboard is acting up and I need to deal with that.

3. Lauren McLaughlin says:

Maybe we should abandon the term “Writer’s Block” and just call it “Writer’s speed bump” – because when the juices do flow- we sail right along. Fun post – I feel your pain.

4. Alana says:

Oh, that writer’s block. Yes, “writer’s speed bump” might be just a bit more positive. And inspirational.

5. So cute! Well done. (Visiting from UBC…)

6. Janice Gill says:

I have the same problem with my art. I get lots of ideas at night so decided to keep a notebook by the bed. Trouble was, most of what I read the next day was completely bizarre!
    Good luck with the challenge 🙂

7. Joel Frye says:

Sometimes a haiku or senryu or a quick ten-word will prime the pump. It’s not surrender, it’s acceptance. Remember…”…it’s a feature…”. 😉

8. Billie-
    Exactly why when I get the urge (and the inspiration), I knock off a bunch of posts. Because there will be times when I won’t- or times when I simply have no time.

9. Paul Taubman says:

Ooh Billie!

Been there. Done that.

Just keep on writing…

Thanks!

10. Jeanine says:

Boy, can I relate!! Staring and the words just won’t come. But then, there’s the pressure, because it really feels like it has to be done right now! Yep. I have been there. <3

11. Lily Leung says: